Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday


Yes it is super bowl Sunday - but no Packers - but my oldest has long been a 49ers fan - so for her I will cheer for them.

Today's card is for the weekly sketch on Stars and Stamps, Operation Write Home's Card Blog.  I chose to add more layers to the card. I grounded every layer with black so it would pop a little more.  It really does make a difference.  Try it on your card someday.  I learned this little trick from our fearless leader Sandy.

My little tip for you today - when you fussy cut out an image or sentiment like I did - take a black marker and run around the edge of the paper.  This way the edge of your cut out is black and no white shows - it gives it more of a finished look.  I also did that with my buttons - but just used a red marker on them.  Another hint for today - this is the Martha Stewart button punch - it embosses the button also - but I layered two of them together to give each button a little more depth and sturdiness.

The paper is from Authentique - great double sided paper.  The sentiment is a Hero Arts sentiment I used very often on my OWH cards.  I love the shape of the sentiment and it works for both masculine and feminine cards.

Well I am off to get some groceries so I can eat this week.  We have snow in our forecast off and on all week - I do hate to have to get up in the morning and clean everything before I head to work.  Everyone enjoy your day.

17 comments:

Linda said...

Awesome card, you definitely hit this one perfectly!...I generally use all those tips on my cards except the black paper...sometime it just doesn't "feel" right for the card. Sometimes I use supply flatboard for my buttons as it is a little thicker. Gotta love the button punch!

Desert Rose Stamper said...

Wow Barb -- your up and going -- great card. I like the colors in the DP and your buttons really make it pop. Thanks for your tips today.

Sharon

Unknown said...

Very nice! I enjoyed reading your tips and I love the buttons!

Amy said...

What a lovely CAS card.

Marlene Diefendorf said...

Fantastic card Barb. Great tip on using black to mat DSP... it really does make it pop. Love the buttons and that they're punched. Great idea to use two for extra depth. Thanks for playing!

Joanie said...

Thanks! I have the sentiment and love the idea of running a marker around it after it is cut! Great card!

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

Very nice card. The punch buttons are great and would work out well for mailing too!

Donna Hanley said...

Great card, Barb. Also wonderful tips for us this week, thank you. The black does finish off everything nicely. I love the colors you went with on this one.

Diane said...

Hi Barb-
beautiful card! And thanks for the directions and tips--I, too, use the marker around the edge- and when I forget-the white edge bugs me! The buttons are perfect! Great use of the sketch!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous card-- wow what a steady awesome hand you have to cut that out so flawlessly! Love the buttons!

StampTramps said...

Good tip on the MS button punch. I have it and have noticed the buttons seem a little flimsy - thanks! Love your card, the black layer gives it a polished look.

Jen M said...

I love this! The die cut for the sentiment is great, Barb. Nice job! The layers really do make the card all pull together.

Karen B. said...

So awesome to find another crafter from Wisconsin! My husband is an avid 49ers fan and I don't really follow football...What a fun card, and thanks for the tips!

Donna Nuce said...

The paper is just gorgeous! I love those big buttons -- they really make a statement.

Nancy Keller said...

Nice!! I have some of that paper rolling around here somewhere. I've also has my eye on that button punch. Thanks for reminding me that I need it!!! :)

Paula S. said...

Nice interpretation of the sketch Barb! Thanks for the tip on doubling up the buttons. I have that punch but never once thought of that.

Sybrina K said...

Barb,

You did a great job with this sketch. I really struggled with this one.

Thanks for the marker tip. I'll have to give that a try.