Friday, May 1, 2015

Mixed Media Mojo Monthly Challenge


The monthly challenge at Mixed Media Mojo is to choose lines from a tic tac board.  The twist is to use every square on the board.  Here is your tic tac board to inspire your creativity.


I chose the middle line:  Gesso, Stencil and Chipboard.  I am behind in my birthday cards so I decided to make a birthday card.


I took a piece of mixed media paper and colored it with a light pink Gelatos.  I then used my clear Gesso (yes there is clear Gesso) and put a layer over my pink color.  I wanted the pink color to be sealed.  I took a stencil and used a watercolor pencil.  I outlines the octagon shapes and colored them in with the watercolor pencil.  I took my water brush and blended the colors.  I added lighter color in other openings.  A second stencil was used to add the silver chevron stripe with silver embossing paste from Faber Castell.

The chipboard is from Basic Grey.  I first colored the chipboard with distress paint.  After it was dry, I inked it up with VersaMark and used a new product called Enamels from The Rubber Cafe.  The color is Sea Glass.  (of course, now I wish I had bought several more colors).  I punched the butterfly and colored it with silver embossing powder.  It is so pretty.  The sentiment was stamped on vellum with the same enamel.  The chipboard was glued to the front of the card with Glossy Accents.  I also used Glossy Accents to adhere the butterfly.

I wasn't quite happy with the color on the card front so on the one side I took my watercolor pencil and added the deeper pink into the openings of the chevron.  I was much happier with the front then.

To finish the card, I matted it in dark gray cardstock.  Wrapped the sentiment around the card front.  Added some silver cord above the sentiment.  The front panel was popped up on the card front.  I then took some enamel dots which are silver glitter (from a Halloween collection) and scattered them around the card front.

I hope you will join us at Mixed Media Mojo this month and play with our tic tac board.

I am also entering this card into the weekly Monday challenge at Simon Says Stamp.

3 comments:

Lula said...

What a lovely birthday card!

Ruby Craft said...

The Tic Tac Toe challenge worked well for you. Love your card, very creative, beautiful colors.

Pawsitively Creative said...

This card makes me happy. Wonderful use of vibrant colors and awesome texture! Whomever receives this card will be tickled pink! Lol! Hugz! ~Niki