Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June Mixed Media Mojo Challenge

Hard to believe it is the first of June already and now it is time for a new Mixed Media Mojo challenge.  In honor of Queen Elizabeth's birthday, our challenge is of the royal nature:  Fit for a Queen with the added twist of Jewels/Gems.


I had a project in my mind but it was not coming together so after seeing a fellow team member's post, I decided to go with Queen Bee.  My mom passed away in April and her name was Molly Beatrice and she was our Queen Bee.  There are three other Bea's in the family:  Bonnie Bea, Carrie Bea, and Elaina Bea.


The bee image and the crowns are from The Graphic Fairy which I cut out.  A wonderful site for images to use on your projects.  I also used the wings from a couple smaller versions of the bee that I had also printed.

I had a piece of patterned paper that I applied to my canvas and added a few pieces of dictionary pages.  I wrinkled some tissue paper and added that in several areas to add some texture.  Different layers of paint were added.  I did a little stamping with a new stamp.  I used a Tim Holtz stencil and some bright pink embossing paste to add the flowers.  A Donna Downey stencil was used to add the pink splots on the left side.  I also had a stamp set I had never used which the Queen Bee comes from and that was stamped on tissue paper.  I also stamped the bees around the canvas.


Here is a close up of the embossed paste flowers.

 Here is a close up of the bee.  I had printed two of them so cut out the wings on the second bee and the wings are off the canvas.  Glitter and bead gel was added to the wings to make them sparkle.


Here is a close up of the wings on the side of the canvas and the pink embossing paste.  You can see some of the wrinkled tissue paper and the stamped bees.


Come play along with us.  Bring your "royalty" out to play.

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

Deb said...

What a wonderful project Barb, a beautiful way to remember your dear Mom, I am sure that she is looking down and smiling! Sending you my deepest condolences on your loss, Deb xo

Electra said...

I love everything about this, especially the colours and amazing background!