Saturday, December 31, 2016

Happy Little Stampers Watercolor Challenge

Happy Little Stampers is adding a new challenge to their challenge site.  Watercolor will be the new challenge.  I am very excited to be the guest designer for this new challenge.


One of my new favorite past times is watching U Tube videos.  I went out and watched many Jennifer McGuire videos on watercoloring and decided I wanted to try using embossing paste and watercolors.

I wanted to use my Twinkling H2O's.   I have not used them in ages and they have such a beautiful color.  I live bright colors and these watercolors give you that.

I cut a piece of watercolor paper and then added embossing paste through a stencil.  After the paste had dried I chose three shades of blue to make a gradient color on my card front.  I just kept adding color until I got the shades I wanted.

I did want this card to be a New Year's card.  None of my sentiments worked right with the front.  I tried cutting with my Silhouette but I did not like anything I did.  I finally die cut some silver stars and also some watercolor paper stars.  I layered them on the front of the card.  I added a die cut Hello to finish off the front of the card along with some gems.  I struggled with this card but in the end I did like it.


Here are some close ups of parts of the card.  It was really hard to pick up the shine that the Twinkling H2O's give to your project.



Please come join us at Happy Little Stampers and try our the new watercolor challenge.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Absolutely beautiful, Barb! I love that gorgeous background on your lovely card. :-)

Conniecrafter said...

Love the colors you used, neat layering of the stars, terrific new year's card... I am making new years cards too and realized I need some better New year stamps :)

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Love the look of your card Barb! Fabulous...

Kylie said...

The colours are certainly bright. I love the embossing paste and watercolour technique! Thanks for being our Guest Designer at Happy Little Stampers this month xx

Inkyfingers said...

I love the rich colours and texture on your card Barb. I think the layered stars were a perfect topping, and the sheen from the H2Os is lovely. It's so great to have you as our Guest Designer this month, and Happy New Year to you and yours.
Hugs
Carol x

Melissa L. said...

Gorgeous, Barb! I love this technique and you did a beautiful job with it. Thanks for Guest Designing with us at HLS Watercolor Challenge.

Kelly Szafron said...

Beautiful card! I will have to try this technique.

Jenny Colacicco said...

The deep blues and greens you got on this background are gorgeous. It is so pretty. I have tried painting on embossing paste before but didn't get anywhere near such a good result. FAB! Thanks for being such an awesome GD.

Gwendolyn said...

Gorgeous background, so inspirational!