Sunday, May 6, 2018

Happy Little Stampers May Mixed Media Challenge

It is May - time for a new mixed media challenge at Happy Little Stampers

It is a fun challenge with all kinds of creative opportunities.


I needed to make a birthday card for my great niece.  She is a wonderful artist so I always feel a little intimidated making a card for her.  This year I decided to go the mixed media route because she has not dabbled in that area of creativity.

For my gold I decided I wanted to use gold foil - not in a nice orderly way - but more abstract in how the gold was used on the card.

The background was made with (guess what) distress oxide inks.  I had received the gold paper with the hearts on it from a fellow card maker and decided to use it on my card.  The Happy Birthday is washi tape with a strip of gold glitter washi tape on top of it. 

The Dina Wakely birds were heat embossed and colored with different oxide inks.  I fussy cut them out.  I added a next of black thread behind the birds . 

So here comes the messy gold foil.  I used a glue pen for foil.  On the top part I just dabbed it across the top so there were all kinds of irregular shapes.  After it dries a little, you just place the gold foil over the top and rub it.  On the birds I just highlighted different areas with the glue and rubbed the foil on.  This was a very fun card to make.


Here is a close up of the birds.


Close up of the sentiment area.


Here is a close up of the top left corner.


I even decorated the inside of the card.  I had a bird left over so I did not want it floating around the design table for years.  I just dipped the inside page onto some distress oxides to add the same blue color as the front of the card.  Glued the remaining bird on and then used my glue and foil to add some gold accents.


Please come join us at Happy Little Stampers for our May Mixed Media challenge

Did I tell you there were prizes.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Dotstolines said...

This is stunning Barb! Love how the colours on the little birdies pop up on that background!xoxo -Aditi